Create or Die!
I need to create or I feel dead...whether I was working for someone or in charge of my own barge, I've always had this urge to create. My husband sometimes thrives off my energy and other times goes running for the hills!
As a creative and resourceful being (like I believe you all to be!), there is an innate ability to conjure up what we desire, make lemonade out of lemons and ignite 'newness' at any given moment. Creativity though, is like a muscle, left untended it can grow weak or overshadowed by other muscles such as our inner critic, poor habits or modern day distractions…
So how do you tend to your creativity?
1) Stand up! Going from sitting to standing moves energy and is often a stance of confidence and boldness.
2) Go outside: Breathe in the fresh air, feel the rain on your skin or walk in nature. Science says our brains in nature become more creative.
3) Call a friend: Share what's on your mind. This simple clearing can free things up. Or play with some ideas, tell them you're looking to 'get creative,' and see what comes. (Choose wisely so that you know you're calling a friend that has an open mind and ally in your growth, rather than fixed idea of who you are...)
4) Slow down: Getting present and slowing down often gives us access to so much more of our senses. It is often from this place that we begin to truly take in that which we are experiencing. The sensation of a deep breath, the touch of a loved one or the sunshine on your face.
5) Create a mind map: Rather than simply writing a brainstorm list, consider creating a mind map. This often taps into the right side of our brain where imagination, creativity and fluid thinking exist.